Friday, December 01, 2006

Deja fu*, all over again.

Some readers may remember me writing a piece regarding the election in Mexico earlier this year.

Well, the new Presidente was sworn in last night, and it appears that Mexican politics are as robust as ever.

Allegedly, somewhere in the Mexican Constitution there is a passage which apparently states that if you can't make it to the swear-in platform, you can't be President.

This led to Mexican lawmakers packing in sleeping bags and camping out around the podium -- some to assist him up the stairs, others to assist him into unconsciousness.

Debate between the two parties was ... spirited. And when I say "spirited" -- they were fast-pitching chairs at each other.

I'm guessing that the Mexican version of Roberts Rules of Order has a "No Edged Weapons" clause, a standing eight count replaces the filibuster, and when eloquence fails, a good right hook is an acceptable rebuttal.

California Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger, who had been invited to observe the swearing-in/swearing-at ceremony, was heard to declare, "It's good action."

Man has a point.

I'll say this: if an election has to be contested, the sight of poli-critters attempting to bludgeon each other into unconsciousness is a lot more fun to watch than the sight of lawyers scurrying back-and-forth.

Maybe C-Span ought to take notes.

LawDog

*The feeling that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head like this before.

15 comments:

Phoenix Ravenflame said...

I'm thinking there has to be a way to cash in on this sort of thing. I'd find a way to get money for buying tickets to see some of our legislators beat the livin' crud out of each other!

Brandon said...

The Brits have been known to have more than a few fist fights in the House of Commons during debates, let's face it, our brand of politics & debating is just boring.

Meathe said...

You should see Taiwanese parliament.

Food fights and throwing chairs are not uncommon.

But not by security. By the incumbents.

Anonymous said...

I caught part of the video earlier today. Apparently, there is nothing like throwing a punch (or chair) to make the other side to see your point!

It reminds me of a story my dad tells about a wrestling match quite a few years ago in the halls of Congress caused because two senators disagreed over whether one should attend a committee meeting or not. I do believe the senator trying to avoid the meeting ended up winning after pinning his rival. Thanks for provoking a laugh with the Governator's comment; I do love an understatement.

Anonymous said...

When I studied poli sci a couple of years ago, I recall the professor not only illustrated the point that "politics is like a fist fight", but also told of several altercations right there in the halls of Congress of pre-1840. Seems those guys were real quick to jump up and whup on whoever said anything they didn't like. I agree it would've been a lot more fun to watch, but I wonder would they get any more or less done.

Oldfart (or oldphart) said...

"...I wonder would they get any more or less done."

Considering the stuff they now pass as "legislation" I'd hope they'd get a whole lot less done.

Matt G said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Matt G said...

Want action? Google "May 22, 1856
The Caning of Senator Charles Sumner."

Cybrludite said...

MattG,

I read that as "Schumer" at first & got hopeful...

Anonymous said...

I love to see government get what it deserves, we should implement something similar here. The real shame is the aforementioned no edged weapon clause,the hope is be that they do less as the situation becomes more violent. Also, it would insure that there is good turnover from election to election.

martywd said...

And the trials and tribulations of swearing in a new President is just the tip of the iceberg South of the Border. How 'bout the goings on down in Oaxaca, for the last several months?

Anonymous said...

Oh man, I hope the video shows up on YouTube.

Anonymous said...

I suppose that would be one way to get everyone more interested in politics. Treat it like the wrestling channel and suddenly everyone would be tuning in to C-Span...

- ISU Tinkerer

Anonymous said...

I still say Sonny and Rico are gonna be pissed Calderon as the Mex Pres.

Kristopher said...

Cue the Star Trek gladitorial theme ...